September 18, 2013

First Day Pics, and Why I Fail At Blogging

First day pictures

We've been doing first grade for two and half weeks now and I'm already exhausted! But don't they look handsome? (Munchie has started this new little sideways jaw grin. It's kind of funny. He sports it whenever the camera comes out.)

I don't know why but this year seems to be so extremely hard. I think most of it is because Munchie is very rambunctious, and very demanding, and he spends most of our school time fussing and wanting to be picked up, which doesn't happen, which in turns makes him angry... It's a vicious cycle. Pair that with three boys who don't sit still very well and.... I'm sort of pulling out my hair.

Oh how I wish this were my view.

So I'm changing our curriculum a bit and I will be adding lots more "hands on" activities and more things to do outside. Like using hopscotch for math. We'll see how it goes.

Annie gave us quite a scare over the weekend. I noticed on Wednesday evening that she hadn't touched her food from the morning, which I thought was weird. When I went out Thursday morning to feed her, her bowl was still full. Since she's been a dog that really enjoys her food and wolfs it down in seconds, I knew something was wrong and got her to the vet Thursday afternoon.

A quick test showed us that she had parvo, and by the next day she was vomiting, very lethargic, and had stopped drinking water as well. When the vet sent me home he gave me a slew of antibiotics and medications and instructions for feeding and keeping her well hydrated.

This is how my brain feels.

It was a very long and stressful weekend, with alarms set for different medications, and every hour the alarm would go off for us to get fluids into her somehow. Thankfully, with lots of care and lots of prayers from friends and family, she was eating some boiled chicken and rice and drinking water from the faucet by Sunday night. Today, she is bouncing and happy and wolfing her food again. Completely back to normal! Totally scared the crap out of me though.

After schooling and dog caring, and trying desperately to keep my house clean (have I ever told you how extremely messy four little boys can be??), I am trying to get things ready for the Craft show and Bumblewood launch in three weeks.

The soaps are getting labeled, the lip balms and a small amount of lotion bars are being made, the finishing touches are being put on everything, and I'm filling a few custom orders.

By the end of the night I am falling into bed and usually asleep before I hit the pillow.

I am desperately hoping for a wet winter.

But! Autumn is coming! I can feel it. The last few days have been breezy and cool and delicious and I can't wait for colder weather and jeans and comfort food and baking and the visit to the apple farm and all the wonderful things that come with fall! :)

And in the back of my head there is that little voice that says "Plant a fall garden...."

I'm not sure if I want to listen to it right now.

Happy Wednesday y'all,
Meg


4 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Don't listen to the fall garden planting. Your hands are full to the brim. I love that school picture. That is so awesome.
No wonder you are so tired. You have had a rough week.
I do hope you can rest between chores. I think outside school is the best way while it is warm.
I will be praying for you.

Kessie said...

Ditto Mom's advice! It won't hurt the guys to take a day or two off. For us, Thursdays are flash card days and Fridays are art, because I'm so sick of making them sit still. I've also had success in drilling phonic sounds while throwing objects into a box.

Kessie said...

Oh yeah, and paying them in yogurt-covered raisins whenever they answer a flash card correctly. Nothing rivets the attention like snacks!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Gosh, I could never handle all that you are able to! You've got a lot on your plate. I would maybe wait on the fall garden if I were you haha! I hope Annie continues to recover. How scary!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...