October 21, 2011

Raising Men


As we prepare for adding a fourth boy into our family, I have had many thoughts in my head. A lot of family was fairly disappointed that it's not a girl (and some are still holding out hope, haha) and as I thought about that the thought occured to me:

I have the very strong feeling that God has blessed us with so many boys as a challenge to raise them to be strong, Godly men. I painfully feel the lack of and need for strong men in our society in general. Not to say that we don't need strong women as well. But I believe men should be in the lead for most things (be it father, government, clergy, husband, whatever), and I have seen a lack of motivation in men of our generation to take that needed lead.

Amy at Homestead Revival had a wonderful post on this very thing yesterday, and I wanted to share the link for anyone who is interested.

Raising Boys to be Men in Today's Culture

I am so blessed and thankful to have a husband who is perfectly suited and equipped to raise just such men and I hope we can raise our kiddos to be just as strong as he is.

Happy Weekend,
Meg

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I love how duders like "Holy crap, that did not just happen!!! GREATEST BOOK EVER!!"

MarmePurl said...

I often joked that I raised 4 boys...Daughter didn't discover her feminine side until she was 16. The fun with those boys never stops. Many Congratulations to you!

Kessie said...

I see raising my son as the same kind of challenge. When it comes down to it, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Farm Girl said...

I think girls are easy but boys keep it real. Boys, make me not take myself so seriously and really they help me keep seeing what is important in life.
Just think of it Meg, you get to have 4 daughters-in-laws. Who as I see it are really a gift to life.
I love mine. :)

mountain mama said...

amen! i agree!

Allison said...

Lovely thoughts! xo

Anita said...

I saw your little knitted man over at lettertoemily and decided to visit.

As I scanned your posts, I stopped here because I remember when I was pregnant with my third daughter. One friend could not contain her disappointment that I was not having a boy.

That was 12 years ago. My girls are almost 16, 13, and 11 now. I wanted a fourth, but my last one would not give up breastfeeding for a year and a half, and I never got pregnant. I think that was God's way of saying I'd had enough childen. I was 42 when my last one was born! I know...that's old, but I was willing to go for one more...and it didn't have to be a boy - just another sibling for my girls.

I once heard the actor Sidney Poitier (I'm sure I've butchered his last name) say on TV, "Children are such amazing creations; why quibble about the sex." He had 6 girls.

I would have been just as happy with 3 boys instead of 3 girls.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! May God bless you with a good delivery and a beautiful baby.

You are already on the road in shaping your Strong Men of God. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...