February 22, 2013

A Walk in the Garden

Cabbage - I think. I found it in the compost pile. I planted seeds last year and they never came up until now.

Wee lettuce

New growth on the mint

Uhh.... Hydrangea? We've planted so many bulbs I'm not sure which is which.

Blueberry, with new buds and leaves.

The seed leaves of the collard greens.

Spinach

Just a little bit of what's been coming up around here. 

We finally have sunshine again after the storm at the beginning of the week. It is supposed to warm up again and get into the 70's next week. I'm very excited for that. I'm really tired of being cold.

The garden, while things are growing, is quite pitiful. All but one of my radish sprouts have been munched by slugs/snails, and most of the spinach has too. The peas are pathetic, the leeks are puny, and the carrots haven't gotten any bigger around than a pencil. I'm sure part of the problem is because I planted the leeks, carrots and peas last fall and they had to overwinter. I think I might just rip out everything in the beds, prepare everything with the GROW BIOINTENSIVE methods, and try again. I can't tell if it's our abysmal dirt, or just the weather. Since these are all cool weather crops, I'm thinking it's the dirt that needs some TLC. Let the experiments begin!

Happy Friday!
Meg

8 comments:

Kessie said...

Yeah, without the warm weather to strengthen them, they'll be weak for a while. Maybe ripping it out and re-fertilizing it is a good idea. :-)

Farm Girl said...

I went crazy today. We went to Home Depot, came home with beet, tomato and eggplant seeds. Dad is going to plow up a garden space for me, small, 10x10 and hammer together a bed just for my beets. I pulled weeds and it feels so nice to have dirt under my nails again. It just feels so good, I hope it is that warm next week. It would feel fantastic, but then again, it is almost March!!! Let your cabbage grow, some of our best potatoes came out of our mulch pile. Your yard must be warmer than ours, nothing on our blueberries yet. Have fun dreaming.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I hope the cabbage grows. There are so many healthy recipes that include cabbage. Kids aren't to happy eating it, but most adults love.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

At least you've got greenery..... :) That's funny about the cabbage. The last 2 years I've had squash plants grow out of my compost bins. Guess they find it a perfect home! Good luck on the gardening - hope you're eating from it soon!

myletterstoemily said...

i'm sorry about your puny crop. you are
being quite ruthless in thinking about
ripping them out, though. some of my
children were a bit puny at first. :)

myletterstoemily said...

meg,

i wanted to encourage you that your children will be
just fine. they have a wonderful mom with a great
sense of humor and a precious grand ma. don't be
afraid.

love,
lea

no spring chicken said...

I so appreciate your go get 'em attitude.. I'm getting old.. ;(

Blessings, Debbie

Allison said...

I'm positively itching for spring, Meg. I have a tiny tulip point showing by my front door. Soooooooon!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...