June 6, 2013

Things I've Been Doin'


I've done a lot of stuff lately that I just hadn't blogged about because... well I forgot.

The memory's the first thing to go!

So, in no particular order I've been....



Pickling cherries. Aren't they pretty? I've never had a pickled cherry and I'm very curious about them. I will let them sit a few more days to pickle, then I will try them.


Making Laundry Soap. For the first time, unbelievably! The stuff I've been buying has been going up and up and up in price. What got me to finally do it was my sister, who was going to make her own and was asking me about the ingredients. Well I told her she couldn't make laundry soap before I did! So she got the stuff and came over last Saturday and we made a big batch and split it. We used Staci's recipe for dry soap, and it works AMAZINGLY well!



Makin' more jam! After the apricot jam I made a batch each of Strawberry and Boysenberry. I'll make at least one more batch of each to keep us and family members stocked through the year. I love how quick jam making is.


Making Sauerkraut. I'm not sure how to make funky cabbage look appetizing... I set it to ferment at the beginning of last month and let it go for a few days before I put it in the fridge. Ben finally got around to trying it with bratwurst the other night and said it's very salty, but good. I told him we could just rinse it next time. I haven't tried it.... I'm kind of scared of it. I know it's kind of silly since I made it, but I wasn't super fond of the store bought stuff either so this... Kinda weirds me out! Haha.


Working on my sweater. The sleeves are attached and now I am decreasing for the neckline and working the yoke. After that is just the collar and then blocking! I'm really excited, and my sister has already said she'd like one too if this turns out well.

Finishing school. Today we finished our first year of kindergarten! I'm not quiet sure how I feel about it. Not the school itself, that was great! But the fact that my little boys are now out of kindergarten and next year we start first grade.... Probably doesn't help that on Sunday I put away all the little baby clothes and we set aside all of our baby things for when my sister starts having babies.... I won't lie, I cried. And I still cry a little bit...

My mom-in-love came by yesterday and brought me all of her first grade curriculum, plus some cool books for boys. I'm all set up and now I just have to plan when we'll be starting, and our breaks and such. 


I've also been planning a giveaway, in honor of this being my 600th post (wow!) and I now have 55 followers (super wow! You guys are so sweet!).

Things have to settle down a bit, so I will probably announce it next week!

Happy Almost Friday! (I'm in denial that this week isn't over yet.)
Meg

8 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Wow, you have been keeping yourself busy! I'm intrigued by those pickled cherries. You'll have to let us know how they turn out! The jam looks so yummy. I really want to can a lot of jam this year!

Kessie said...

Pickled cherries, eh? How do you eat them? Are they like maraschino cherries? I've been thinking of making Nourishing Tradition's fermented cherry stuff, it's just cherries are such a pain to pit. My fermented marmalade came out alarmingly tangy, but it helps my stomach and I sleep like a baby.

Farm Girl said...

I think you have been very busy. I bet it felt so good to have finished school today.
I loved seeing the boys sitting there reading books. It made me so happy.
I am curious to know how pickled cherries taste too. I have read the into to the book what I have read sounds right on.
Have a really nice day today

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Hooray! Happy to hear you like the laundry soap. Congrats on the Kindergarten year ending, the 600th post AND 55 followers! My goodness!! The pickled cherries sound intriguing.....I'd love to hear how they turn out. And the jam...oh how I can't wait to make jam. We used our last jar of homemade jam 2 week ago. We savored every last bit. :)

Anita said...

Oh Gosh, I feel like such a "City Girl" when I'm reading your posts. LOL

I've got to find some local homesteading friends and sample some of the homemade things they make. Actually, my next door neighbor makes bread and gave me a loaf recently. It made the best toast!

Unknown said...

I get emotional still too, my little ones are 6 and almost 9!

I am jealous of your sweater! That is going to be beautiful :) and oh my, such detail! I love it!

I think I will be trying jam here too, especially now that you said it was EASY!

:)

myletterstoemily said...

you are such an inspiration! if it makes you
feel any better about your sauerkraut, it's
supposed to be one of the healthiest things
you can eat. just plug your nose.

i think it is very sweet that your mother in
law has handed down her first grade
curriculum to you. not many people can
say that!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Sauerkraut is so good on Ruben sandwiches. I think it would be fun to try making mine own.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...