December 29, 2009

What's Cookin': Salisbury Steak

Yesterday was Ben's birthday. I had spent all weekend asking him what he wanted for dinner, so that I could go shopping for it, but he never decided. He said he didn't care. I didn't figure out what I was cooking until about 2 o'clock yesterday. I rifled through the freezer, looking to see what we had and what I could defrost and prepare in time. I wanted something special. I found a package of ground turkey and knew it wouldn't make a very good meatloaf (too bland tasting) but would make a great Salisbury steak, smothered in onions and gravy. 

Salisbury Steak with Onions
1 lb ground turkey (or beef) - 2.50
1/2 C bread crumbs - .72
2 eggs - .28
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce - .36
1 tsp garlic powder - .03
2 small or 1 medium onion, sliced - .04
2 Tbs spread - .04
1 1/2 Tbs flour - .01
1 can beef broth - .88

Combine turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, "Worc" sauce and garlic powder in a bowl. Form into patties (I got 6 good sized ones). Then cook them. You can either do that under the broiler on high, flipping after 6-7 minutes. Or you can grill them on a George Forman-type grill (or outside on the BBQ). It took about 8 minutes for them to cook through on my little GF.

Meanwhile, melt the spread in a large pan, then add the onions and cook until tender. Add the flour and stir to coat all the onions. Cook for a minute or two to get rid of the floury taste. Add in the beef broth and simmer until thickened. Place the cooked patties in the pan and cover with gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes (1.00) and a veggie if you have it. We didn't so the onions had to count.

Total: 5.86*


Variations: If you do this with ground beef then reduce the bread crumbs to 1/4 C. I added more because ground turkey doesn't hold up quite as well as beef and it needed the extra "glue". You could probably use ground chicken too if you found some. This meal is pretty basic and I can't think of much else to change aside from using homemade stock (cheaper and healthier) But if you have a variation please let me know!
 


*This is a little higher than it really was because I didn't have the prices on some of my ingredients. I used the prices from the Vons website and they're always higher than where I usually shop from. So I would say closer to $5.20.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...