April 12, 2013

Going on Around Here




This is half ours and half from the farmer's market

First thing from the garden this year: sage and a head of lettuce, plus two tiny little radishes! We also got an artichoke the other night that Ben and I split.


The garden is... well it's coming along. I'm still waiting on sprouts from a lot of stuff, and I'm battling slugs and reseeding on other things. See the headless sprout in back right there? Yeah... This is going to be a year of war!

Draining curds

I made some Farmhouse Cheddar last week, and after it sat over the weekend to develop a rind...


It was waxed on Monday. Now it needs to sit and age for at least two months. I'm pretty excited about this. I've done a hunk of Parmesan that won't be ready until October, but I'm afraid it won't turn out because I didn't have optimal conditions for it's rind developing process. It got a little cracked and dried, so we'll have to see what happens.

I have no idea what Jack is doing






Mr. Munchie has been walking more than crawling now. This is one of my favorite stages, because he looks so adorable in his awkwardness. This little montage is what I call Baby Jaws. ;)

After my woe-is-me post about aching for land, I've been gently reminded of my post about blooming where I'm planted, and to be content where I am at the moment. You know who you are, and thank you. :) It was also reinforced when I got to the very end of my current Countryside magazine with a tiny little article entitled "Being Content Right Where I Am... For Now".

Yep, message received! I will try harder to be content with where we are.

I've been researching places to find lard for rendering. The few places I've called have just said I can get some if they happen to have it that day. So I will have to get lucky. I need to make good friends with a butcher and have him hold it for me.


I've started the edging of the shawl, which is good since it's due next week. The last part of the pattern is a little shorter than I had planned, but I ran out of yarn. I think I might release this as a mystery shawl pattern at first... We'll have to see.

And, I may or may not have ordered a plethora of yarn... I'd like to make a sweater (you know, cuz summer is coming...) and I thought it would be good to build my worsted weight stash... and Webs is having their Anniversary Sale... Which might have been the thing that swayed me.

And today, it's Friday!

Huzzah!

~Meg

4 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Your produce looks fantastic!!! I love the pictures of the boys. I think every thing just looks so happy and nice.
I just saw you did a update about your trip, now I am off to read that. I missed it. So much going on this week, I think I missed lots of things. :)

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Ooohhh...the sage and lettuce looks amazing! Will you be drying herbs to use later in the year? That's one of my goals for this year - to dry as many of the herbs we use as possible. I'm so very impressed with your cheesemaking skills. That stinks {ha!}, however, that you have to wait so long to see if your successful or not. I guess it's a good test of patience. I love the photos of Mr. Munchie - he is just so adorable makes me want to squeeze his little cheeks and give him a big smooch. Happy Friday.

myletterstoemily said...

you always make me smile. here you are worrying
about having the right attitude where you are planted
. . . all the while PLANTING, harvesting, and cheesing.
if only we could all bloom so well!

and i will tell you what jack is doing: being adorable.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

The lettuce looks great. How exciting about your cheddar. I bet you can't wait to taste it. The baby is getting sooo big. Adorable!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...