September 19, 2010

Public Service Annoucment

(Take two.)

Yesterday I cast on for Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts. After a few rows of the first mitt I tried it on. Kinda small, but I figured I'd give it a bit. Finished the pre-thumb repeats. Tried on again. Still a bit tight, but thinking it will stretch out, right? Half way through the gusset I try it on yet again... Bloody. It's just too tight and it's not going to get better. So, a day and a half later I rip out the whole stupid thing and start over on larger needles. So, in order to give reason to my stubbornness and stupidity, I give you this PSA:

1. You must do a gauge swatch to determine that your knitting will match the pattern size.

2. Gauge swatches lie. You can not trust them. (This is determined by the fact that I did indeed do a gauge swatch, got gauge, and still had sizing issues.)

3. If you think there is going to be a problem STOP. Just stop. Do yourself a favor and rip out now, instead of wasting a whole freaking day because you think "oh, it will stretch out" or "It'll block. It's ok." Just do over now, while it will be less painful.
4. Two color knitting is awesomesauce.

2 comments:

Farm Girl said...

You are so funny!!! It really is pretty and it will turn out next time.
At least you stopped instead of getting almost finished.

Meg said...

It gets worse, actually. I had started with a test run Friday night on the needle size the pattern called for. When I tried on the little bit I had done, there was a conversation that went like this:

Me: Argh. It doesn't fit. This is way too small. *Holds up hand*
Ben: What is it?
Me: It's supposed to be fingerless mitts.
Ben:..... For the boys?

Yeah. LOL!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...