March 27, 2010

What's Cookin': Lentils & Rice Casserole

I don't have a picture for this because honestly it does not look that appealing. Ben said it looked like... Well. He said it looked disgusting. But it is quite delicious and works perfectly for a cheap, filling meal. I got this from one of the Tightwad Gazette books.

Lentils & Rice Casserole - Makes 6-8 servings
3 1/2 C water (or chicken stock)
3 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon (omit if using stock)
3/4 C lentils
1/2 C brown rice
3/4 C chopped onion OR 1 Tbs + 1/4 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix together in a casserole dish. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes at 300 degrees. During last 20 minutes top with 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.

I'm too tired and lazy to figure out pricing. But I know it's cheap. ;)

Notes & Variations: I made this the first time for lunch the other day as a test run and used the 3 cups of liquid the original recipe called for. I'm not sure if it was the amount of liquid or the pan I used (9 X 13), but it turned out a little raw and crunchy still. But I had Ben try it and he thought it was delicious, despite the crunchy. So I added a 1/2 cup liquid and put it in my 8 X 8 pan and it turned out perfect.

Tonight, I made it with beef stock and threw in some left over pot roast I needed to use. It was quite tasty, but it's just as good without it. It would probably be good with some leftover chicken in it as well. But the point of the dish is to be cheap.

I had the idea of making this as easy as possible for future meals so I used the bouillon and minced onions and threw everything into a pint jar. I got 3 meals out of a one pound bag of lentils. Stick on a label that says "Add 3 1/2 cups of water. Bake 1.5 hours @ 300", and you have a stupid easy dinner to just pull out of your pantry!

Ben Rating: 4! SCORE!

1 comment:

Farm Girl said...

Wow cool, you get Ben to eat so many different things! :) It sounds good. I think you are amazing!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...