October 7, 2010

What's Cookin: Meatloaf

I'm not really sure how to make a slab of meatloaf look totally appealing, but I tried. Probably should have taken the picture after I smothered it in gravy.

Ah, meatloaf. One of my husband's favorite foods. Along with tri-tip, and steak, and... Basically anything from the side of a cow. If at one point it moo-ed, it's good eats to him. Meat and taters. And he passed that love onto my very carnivorous children.

I've debated putting my recipe for meatloaf "out there". Public. I've felt that meatloaf is one of those recipes that should be closely guarded. You know, great-grandma's secret recipe. The one that every one says "Oh man, that was the best. I wonder what she put in it? Too bad she took it to her grave with her..."

But... I think now I'll share it. Just because Ben loves it so much, and I think man-approved food should be share with other women who have men of some sort. So here it is. Remember, I rarely measure anything, so these are just estimates. And if you try it... let me know how it went over, won't you?

Meg's Meatloaf - feeds 5 people, with leftovers
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 sleeve Saltine crackers, pulverized*
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp hot sauce <-- secret ingredient
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dijon mustard (or regular yellow works too)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put everything in a bowl together and mash it all up until well mixed. Form into a loaf and place in an 8 x 8 baking dish. If desired, slather the top with a mix of ketchup and hot sauce. (Ben doesn't like topping.) Bake until inside temperature reads 160 degrees, about one and a half hours.

We serve ours with mashed taters, gravy, cheddar garlic biscuits, and some kind of veggie if I have it (tonight I didn't).

*I usually use about 1/2 C bread crumbs, but I was out. It tastes about the same either way.


Happy Eating!

2 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Yes, men do love their meat love and mashed taters. Hey I wanted you to know I have a blog award over at my blog if you want to pick it up. I got one yesterday, and I wanted to pass it on. It is no big deal if you don't want it. I just thought I would tell you.

Anonymous said...

Meg, this sounds so good! My husband loves meatloaf..the whole family does. I always make mine using one of those little season packs from the store. I'm going to try your secret recipe here to surpise them!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...