February 3, 2012

After Birthday

And this is it's good side!
Yesterday was my birthday! Thank you to everyone who left me such sweet birthday wishes. It was such a nice day.

It started off by my finding a post it note on my computer that started a scavenger hunt from my sneaky husband. The little notes led me through the house and finally to a cabinet that he had hid my present in - a new iPod touch! My little baby hand-me-down iPod shuffle had been going on the fritz for awhile, so he got me a new one saying that I never ask for anything. It was such a nice, sweet surprise and I loved going on the hunt. It was so much fun.

Then I spent the morning making myself a cake! A German Chocolate cake!

It was way more involved than I thought it would be and it turned out ugly as sin, but it is oh so delicious. It's lopsided, because all I had was pie pans rather than cake pans (no point in having them, I never make tiered cakes), and I didn't have quiet enough frosting to go all the way around... But I will never buy coconut-pecan frosting again. It is SO much better from scratch. In fact, the reason I didn't have enough for the cake might have been because I ate a good amount from the pot...

Every year I try to pamper myself a bit on my birthday. I figure it's the one day a year that I can get away with it. So after I put the kids down for a nap I took a long, hot shower, did a facial scrub, made my hair pretty and put on make up. It really does make the day special.

Topped the day off with a trip to craft store (by myself!) to mosey around and get some stuff, and then dinner with Ben at one of my favorite restaurants. When we got home we had the cake, and the kids weren't happy until it had candles and they sung Happy Birthday. It was very sweet and cute, especially Duder's version of "Happy to wooooo!" It was a wonderful day!

And today, my mom is treating me to lunch! I am going to gorge myself on salad!

Also, I (and apparently the real groundhog) have decided that Spring is starting now. I mean heck, it's been warm enough anyways we might as well get to it, right? I need flowers.

Happy Friday!
Meg


7 comments:

Marti said...

Glad that you had such a wonderful day.

Kessie said...

Sounds like a really nice birthday! Your Facebook post about the scavenger hunt made me giggle all day. I'm glad you made yourself a German chocolate cake. It looks absolutely sinful. I'd have helped you eat the whole thing.

Pie plates instead of cake pans? I am amused! That would make interesting edges to tuck the frosting up under. Like a Japanese castle. :-)

Farm Girl said...

So glad it turned out great, Did the boys sleep late?
Have a great lunch!!!

Kim said...

It sounds like a great day. You deserve more days like that.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Happy Belated Birthday Meg. So sorry I missed it. The blogging kind of takes a back seat during the work week. There just isn't enough hours in the day. Your cake looks to die for. I love German Chocolate Cake.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL Birthday!!! I love German Chocolate cake, but don't enjoy making it. Happy belated Birthday!!

Allison said...

And I missed that! I'm so sorry. Happy Birthday Meg!! xoxo

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...