February 24, 2012

Friday Favorites


It's Friday! I'm trying to be positive about this and ignore the fact that our family's work week still includes Saturday - so I decided I should share some of my favorite things with you. Because apparently I'm very bloggy this week and have (at least temporarily) gotten over my "Just on Mondays" routine.

The first one is my new toy. A few weeks ago I used some Christmas money and bought myself a stick blender. I have been wanting one for a long time but never got around to getting one (one of those frivolous "I can live without it" things I don't really need). One of the blogs I read was giving away a big stick blender set and I decided that if I didn't win (hey, you never know) I would just go ahead and buy one. Well, needless to say I didn't win but I found this one on Amazon for under $30 so I went ahead and got it.

And I love it. I lurve it. I luffs it.

It's wonderful. I have already used it to make a batch of Chili Verde sauce and a handful of smoothies. It's powerful but quiet and it blends beautifully. I don't have an upright blender and the food processor kind of makes a big giant mess if I try to process anything too liquid (like said smoothies), so this has come in so handy. Definitely worth the purchase and I know I will be using it a TON. It even came with a 2 cup measuring/blending cup which was a bonus, since my 2 cup Pyrex liquid measure broke over a year ago and I have missed it ever since.


As silly as this might seem, this is my second favorite thing today. My great grandmother gave this to me at my bridal shower and I realized the other day that I use this measuring cup more than any of my others. It is a 2 cup dry measure and I use it for everything from flour to cheese to chopped meats to fruit. I think it is especially sweet because it was thrifted and I love used things. I will be very sad if it breaks.


And lastly today is Granola! I've been wanting granola something awful lately so I decided to make up a batch today. After searching for recipes and not finding one I really liked exactly I just decided to throw some stuff together and make my own. This is a really simple version with just walnuts and coconut since I am out of dried fruit and such (and I like my granola kind of simple anyways) but it is really stinkin' good. I've had two bowls already. And the smell coming from the oven while it was toasting was just heavenly. I'll post the recipe later.

Now - back to knitting! ;)

Happy Friday,
Meg

4 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

The granola looks delicious. As far as it being a simple granola, my mom always says "less is more." I have the same stick blender( a xmas gift from my sister. I use it all the time. pancake batter, canned tomatoes, I love it.

Farm Girl said...

It all looks so nice. I am glad you got your stick blender. So does the granola. I love granola. You are just so dang busy. :)

Kim said...

I've been wanting one of those blenders too. Since you have given it such a good review, I might just do it.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

I have a similar blender and forget about it all the time. I need to get in the habit of using it. The measuring cup is such a sweet memory. I loved that. And a big "yum" to the granola!! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...