Do y'all remember this dress, and how I said it was a bit tight?
Well, Friday I decided to fix it. That meant a LOT of resewing and a LOT of seam ripping. I'm not sure how I found the time, but nap time and a Harry Potter movie for me while sewing were involved.
I start by taking off the sleeves and pulling out the shoulder seams. Then I flipped it inside out and re-seamed the panels that weren't trimmed with a smaller seam allowance (1/4" rather than 1/2" I believe). I did the same to the lining. Then I ripped out the previous seams of both the dress and lining.
After all that ripping I re-sewed up the lining/dress arm hole a little bigger so it wasn't so tight, re-sewed the shoulder seams a little looser, and reattached the sleeves. Phew! Then a little ironing, the hemming at the edge, and the final ironing and ....
Tada! (Sorry for the weird look on my face. I don't like having my picture taken, even when I'm the one taking it!)
It's a good deal looser and much more comfortable now. I don't feel like my arms are trying to be severed and I can breathe! I feel terribly girly in it.
The only problem I had was the sleeves kept slipping off my shoulders, so I fixed that by attaching some ribbon across the back and tied them together. Now it's perfect! (Well, I still need to put the hook & eye in at the top of the zipper.)
I'm so glad I got it fixed and it wasn't a waste of material or time. The best part is it's loose enough around the belly that I can wear it for awhile still with the baby bump to come. And next time... I'll make sure I pay attention to all of my measurements and not just make the pattern based off one part of my body.