February 6, 2011

365 Project :: Day 37


Today's picture is a look at my "studio" set up. This is the spot I take most of my product pictures now.

Ben and I were taking pictures of an order I just finished and I thought it would be nice if I showed you how I got away with pretty decent lighting without all the fancy, expensive equipment.

I prefer natural lighting for my knits, so I use our office window. It's the best window I've found so far. The living room might work, but I don't feel like pulling the table in there. Plus the sunlight bounces off the wall outside and gives us pretty good lighting in here.

I use a white table cloth for my backdrop, which I've ironed now. Because trying to Photoshop out folds and crinkles is a pain in the butt. I've thought about using some scrap booking paper for different moods and effects on the backdrop, too.

I use a piece of white poster board as a reflector, to get light on the underside of my shots and reduce the shadows. I've taped a piece of foil onto it now for added light-bouncing-offery, but it's a little harsh sometimes so it's use depends on the shot.

I'm no where near where I want to be as far as skill, but going through my pictures over the last few months I realize that I am getting better. And all without shelling out hundreds of dollars. (Well, aside from the camera... hehe.)

I ordered a tripod, which should be here tomorrow, and I'm so excited for it!

2 comments:

William said...

Your studio is the pinnacle of low-tech but high-quality fanciness. I applaud you, sir!

Allison said...

Thank you! I had no idea, and this helps!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...