November 30, 2010

Hello, December

Well, we survived the holiday! Thursday at his parents. Friday at my moms. Sunday by ourselves with our own turkey (for leftovers). I swear I put on 10 pounds this weekend. I am still full. And as nice as it was... Never. Again. I can't do this again next year. Too many places, too little kids. We gotta figure out a different way of doin' things 'round here. But it was nice.

Even though our turkey got pushed to Sunday, it was absolutely delicious. I brined the bird again this year and then Ben smoked it in Trogdor. Wonderful. Came out perfectly (although Ben says next time we need to smoke with a lighter tasting wood.) We did a small meal, with just mashed taters, stuffing and rolls and of course that turkey. And tonight? Turkey Tetrazzini with the massive amounts of turkey I have left. I cut up the two cups I need and I still have what feels like the whole bird left.

Today is the last day of November. Holy sheep, this month flew by fast. On the last day (or during the last week) I start going over the past month. I review our budget, print out statements, go over my monthly to do list and see what I got done and what needs to be carried over. And this month...

I didn't get a damn thing done.

Ok, I did weekly chores. But nothing on my monthly list got checked off. Boy do I feel like a slacker. I wonder if it was just because I was gearing up for Thanksgiving. Or maybe because the cold makes me go all lizard and I slip into a lethargic state of mind.

Does anyone else get a little crazy and misplaced this time of year? I mean it's not even December yet and I'm feeling kinda nuts. I could understand if it was closer to Christmas, but I still have a month! Oh well, maybe I'll do better next month.

We did get one thing done this weekend. We put up the Christmas Tree:


Why yes, that is a hand knit tree skirt. I pulled it out of detention storage today and realized I hadn't woven in the ends yet. Further proof of the hell it put me through. I couldn't look at it anymore. But now, I am very happy that I finished it and it adorns my Christmas tree, ready for the presents it will hold.

And yes. It's a fake tree. I was ashamed the year we bought it. And now I adore it for it's ease of set up and take down. And that I don't have to water it.

Happy December,
Meg

P.S. Don't forget about the Anniversary Giveaway! You have until Thursday night to enter.

4 comments:

Kessie said...

I'd enter your giveaway, but you said no family members. :-)

Congrats on finally finishing the tree skirt! It looks really pretty under the tree like that. Nobody knows how much work it was. :-)

Allison said...

Reading your post this morning made me think of all the things coming out of my own mouth lately! I have felt EXACTLY the same, Meg, and I don't know why either. Plus... no desire to get all those millions of things done. Totally unmotivated. I may have decorated for Christmas, but I had to force myself to do it!

Know what I think? We have kids, and we have become the makers of the celebration. It isn't nearly as dreamy when you have to do the grunt work. ;) Hurray for moms!

Definately veto at least one of your Thanksgiving celebrations. Oh my. I'd be wiped out if I were you, too! Your tree skirt is lovely, but I've been harbouring thoughts of getting a fake tree, too. Better not tell the kids, though... !

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Doesn't matter if the tree is fake as long as Christmas is real! Thanks for visiting Thistle Cove Farm; I love your blog! Easy to read and pretty, classic combo. Oh, and that hand knit tree skirt...quite impressive. As in Very Impressive. Remember the good times now -smile-.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Some years are better than others. I have felt just like you before. The good thing is it passes. Love your red knitted tree skirt.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...