November 30, 2010

What's Cookin': Cranberry Nut Bread


I originally found this recipe at From Beyond My Kitchen Window and thought it sounded so good that I picked up a bag of cranberries at the store. Which is unusual for me - I don't normally make a recipe unless I have the ingredients on hand at any given time.

Then low and behold I see this recipe on the back of the bag of cranberries after I've finished making the loaf. Going back to read the recipe from the blog, I see she says it's from Ocean Spray.

I'm so glad I bought cranberries just especially for this. And I really wish I had bought more so I can make more bread. Maybe they will still have some this week.

This bread is so unusually good. The orange juice and cranberries make it very tangy and tart, but the bread itself has a gentle sweetness that balances it all out. I highly recommend trying it at least once. And I think I might make this into a cranberry season tradition.

As a note - to chop up the cranberries I would suggest putting them in a food processor if you have one and lightly pulse them to get a rough chop. I just put them on a cutting board and used a knife and... well. Those round little suckers bounce. Cranberries all over the place. Learn from my stupidity - work smarter, not harder.

Cranberry Nut Bread - makes 1 loaf
2 C flour
1 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 C orange juice
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Tbs grate orange peel
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 C cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 C chopped nuts*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl or mixer. Stir in orange juice, oil, orange peel and egg. Mix well. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Pour evenly into pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test**. Cool for 15 minutes, remove from pan, then cool completely before devouring.

Happy Eating,
Meg

*I used pecans for the mellower flavor.
** You know the one - Stick a toothpick in and if it comes out clean you're good to go!

4 comments:

Kessie said...

Man, that looks wonderful. If I made it, though, I'd have to eschew the pecans. They're like 7 bucks a pound right now at foodmaxx! It's outrageous! And here all these blogs in the South are rolling in pecans.

Meg said...

Heh, I have a stash of nuts that my mom bought me at Costco this summer. I've had them in the freezer and I horde them just for special things, because I know they're so expensive!

Farm Girl said...

I know I got my add today from vons and they are two bags for 5.00 dollars. I always buy bags from now until they stop selling them and just put them in the freezer. They freeze so nice. I love cranberries so much and when a recipe calls for raisins I just use cranberries.
I love cranberry bread too. Your looks wonderful.

Allison said...

I made this same bread from the same blog!! And I agree... it was delicious! Yay.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...