December 9, 2010

What's Cookin': Butterscotch Caramels - HGS


It's been a long time since I've made candy. Long time. Like, I was 13 the last time I did it long. I'm a bit older than 13 now. I decided to make these butterscotch caramels and even picked up a candy thermometer at the store to do it right. It's more involved than just throwing things together in a pot, so my intention was to give you a step by step picture tutorial.

Well, my darlings. I spent a good hour making these delicious morsels, taking pictures the whole way in an effort to give you said tutorial.

But technology hates me. When I placed the memory card into my computer to get the pictures off of it, it told me I had to format the disk. (I have used this disk the whole time I've used the camera. It's not new.) I put it back into the camera thinking I will just copy the images to the camera, reformat the disk, and then copy them back. Nope. Camera tells me to reformat. I try putting the itty bitty card into my cell phone to see if I can save the pictures that way. NOPE!

They are lost and gone forever. And ever and ever. And I nearly threw the stupid card into the garbage disposal and tore it up just to let it feel a slight amount of the pain that it had caused me.

But I'm trying to be a better person.

So instead, I shall give you the recipe in a long, drawn out list sort of way, to perhaps make your candy creating experience easier.

These are made using a recipe from a cookbook that is older than I am called "The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking" and it has a TON of candy and cookie recipes that I have tagged to make for this series. Although I did just come to the realization yesterday that we have just over two weeks until Christmas. So I might not be making as much as I hoped. Or maybe I'll turn it into a year long "Any Holiday" series! Ha!

These caramels are dee-lish-uhs. I had a ton. My sis-in-law who was here had a ton. Ben popped a few right after he got home. My kids keep asking for more. They're addicting. Melt-in-your-mouth buttery goodness. Oh my. I think I need to go get some more.

Before we start I want to make a point about candy making: Get absolutely everything you need out, measured and ready before you begin. If you have to spend time pouring something into a measuring cup while your pot boils you could very easily burn it and ruin the whole thing. Cut up your butter, measure the cream, get the dish greased, all before hand. It will make the whole experience better! Just like stir fry - It moves fast!

Also, while candy making can be a little long and involved, don't be scared! It's so much fun to do and you get an awesome product at the end. So just jump in and try it!



Butterscotch Caramels
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar, lightly packed
1 C corn syrup
2 C heavy cream, lukewarm
1/2 C butter, cubed
1 tsp vanilla

In a large sauce pan that has been greased (or cooking sprayed) combine both sugars and corn syrup.

Heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until sugars dissolve and mixture comes to a boil.

Stick in the candy thermometer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the thermometer reads 250 degrees (firm-ball stage).

Add warm cream very slowly so mixture never stops boiling.

Cook until temperature again reaches 250 degrees.

Add butter, one small cube at a time so the mixture never stops boiling.

Stir to blend, then let mixture cook to 250 degrees once again.

Remove from heat; add vanilla.

Pour slowly and steadily into a greased (and preferably waxed or parchment paper lined) 9 x 9 x 2 inch dish. Do not scrape the pan.

Let cool, then cut into 1 inch squares. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper. 

Or eat them all without wrapping. Your choice. ;)

For an extra fancy version, sprinkle some kosher or sea salt on top before they cool for Salted Caramels. Or dip in chocolate!

This post is linked to :: Tasty Tuesday @ Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

Happy Eating,
Meg

9 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Our box is empty now, so I kept the box in case I can bring it back to have you filler up! They were awesome and I had no idea that it was so few ingredients. They are habit forming too. but what a nice habit. :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

dang. I am SO sorry I came by here today. those look wonderful and I love and adore caramels...with chocolate is even better.
dang.

Kessie said...

I snitched one of the last caramels at Mom's. Oh. My. Gosh. Those are FANTASTIC. I want to make a batch at my earliest convenience and eat them all myself.

Allison said...

Oh, oh and oh. To make or not to make. I am going to try to get my teenager to do it this weekend! ;) She loves to make candy and perhaps I might contrive a way to bribe her!

Rita said...

Your camera story is....I just went through a similar experience with my Camera; so frustrating!
But your caramels look so good.
Rita

Ola said...

I have never ever done any candies but I can imagine that they m u s t be delicious!:))

SnoWhite said...

those remind me of the caramels my mom makes.

annies home said...

I love these and while I have tried in the past to make them mine never turn out quite right i am going to give your recipe a try to see if they turn out better for me

Melinda said...

I love love love caramels - but they scare me! I've never been able to make them - ever. You give me the confidence to try again.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...