January 15, 2011

What's Cookin': Dinner Rolls


I've been trying for awhile to get a good dinner roll recipe. And while I love my great grandma's Yeast Rolls, and the ones from Betty Crocker are pretty good, I have found that recipes that call for eggs or a lot of butter come out really... doughy. Dense and chewy, not as light and fluffy as I'd like.

So in a "If you want something done right, do it yourself" moment of creativity, I made up my own roll recipe.

They turned out perfectly! Light and fluffy, very flavorful with the more-than-usual salt, and very easy.

I've been really into putting my rolls in muffin tins lately. The small area to rise in means they go up more than out, and they turn out to be about the same size. But a small baking sheet or casserole dish should work just fine.

If you're looking for a lighter/healthier version, you can substitute your favorite oil for the butter.

Dinner Rolls - makes 1 dozen
1 C warm water
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbs yeast
1/4 C butter, melted
2 tsp salt
3-3 1/4 C flour
Additional melted butter, if desired

Mix the water, sugar and yeast together in a small bowl or measuring cup and allow to proof.

Mix together the butter, salt and half the flour in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and combine until smooth. Stir in enough flour until dough is no longer sticky. Knead for 8-10 minutes. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled.

Once doubled, punch down and divide into 12 equally sized portions. Roll into balls and place in lightly greased muffin tins or a baking dish. Brush with melted butter, cover and let rise again until doubled.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush tops with melted butter again if desired.

This post is linked up to :: Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

Happy Eating,
Meg

4 comments:

Kessie said...

That sounds like a nice easy recipe! I just kind of make a recipe similar to that. I'll use the Betty Crocker one or the one Mom uses for her cinnamon rolls. Both are nice.

Lilacs 4 Angels said...

Meg, I'll try these tonight. For Thanksgiving our daughter made Parker House Rolls (Food Network ~ I forget the chef's name)...and they were absolutely wonderful.

Allison said...

I will definately try this. I'm always looking for a good dinner roll recipe, and many call for ingredients I can't get here. This is great, Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Homemade! So much better than Poppin' Fresh. These look delish. Will have to try them.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lisa

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...