January 11, 2010

What's Cookin': Chocolate Syrup


You know, the kind that rhymes with "Pershey's".

I love chocolate milk. It used the be the only way I would drink milk when I was younger. Now that I'm older I tend to enjoy chocolate milk with a shot of Kahlua, but that's a story for another day. We ran out of chocolate syrup the other night and since I am not going to the store except for necessities (of which chocolate syrup is not), I was very disappointed. So I decided to make some. A quick search for a copy cat recipe got me this.

Chocolate Syrup - makes about 2 cups

1/2 C cocoa powder - .75
1 C sugar - .29
1 C water - .00
dash of salt - .00
1 tsp vanilla - .03

Combine the cocoa, sugar and salt in a large pot. Stir in the water, thing bring to a boil. Boil and stir one minute. Let cool, then stir in the vanilla. Serve as you would store bought, and store in the fridge.

Total: 1.07

Variations: As soon as it was cool enough I squirted some into a glass of milk. I think it's wonderful! However, it's not as sweet as the store bought. Probably from the lack of corn syrup, which I'm totally ok with. So if you like yours sweet I would up the sugar another half cup or so. For me, I just added a little more syrup than I would with the store bought and it was just fine.

As you can see in the picture, I poured mine into a recycled, washed out honey squirt bottle which works perfectly. 

Price Comparison: If I were to buy the store bought at Vons (which I wouldn't since Vons is expensive but let's pretend), it would be 2.99 for 24 ounces which comes out to about $0.12 an ounce. My version got me about two cups (16 oz) which came out to roughly $0.07 and ounce. So not only do you get better quality since there is no corn syrup and preservative crap, it's cheaper! Win win!

Ben Rating: I didn't ask him to rate it since it's just chocolate syrup and I'm pretty much the only who uses it. But he did try my chocolate milk and said it tasted exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...