January 12, 2010

What's Cookin': Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I had a large amount of pork in the freezer, and since this month is about using what you already have we decided on "pulled" pork sandwiches. I put pulled in quotes because this stuff was already cooked and shredded, it's just the taste I was going for. Ben isn't a big fan of BBQ sauce so he asked me to find a recipe for pulled pork that didn't use that. Harder than it seems, apparently. All the recipes I found that didn't require 3 days of cooking used BBQ sauce. So I took one of the slow cook ones and changed it around to fit. Here's what I came up with.

Pulled Pork Sandwiches - makes about 8 servings
4 C pork, cooked and shredded - leftovers!
1 C water - .00
1 C tomato sauce -.32
1/4 C packed brown sugar - .11
1 Tbs paprika - .82
1 tsp garlic powder - .03
1 Tbs dijon mustard - .19
1 tsp onion powder - .12
1/3 C cider vinegar - .32
2 tsp salt - .00
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes - .31
1 tsp ground black pepper - .00
1 tsp hickory liquid smoke - .13

Place the pork in a large skillet. Mix together everything else, then pour over the pork and stir together. Simmer on med-low for about 30 minutes, or until thickened up a bit. Serve on Buttermilk Biscuits and with a salad or veggie of choice.

Total: 2.35

Variations: I served ours with mayonnaise and a slice of American on the sandwich. You could add whatever condiments you want. You could do this from the beginning in the crock pot with a raw pork roast. Just place the roast in the crock and dump the mixture over it. Let it cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove, shred, and replace, mixing with the juices. Obviously the price would go up once you consider the price of the meat.


Ben Rating: 4! He said it was very good pulled pork and I think they were especially yummy on the biscuits rather than sandwich rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...